Security Installer Community

Simple Panel For Old Lady (using Simple Prox Rdr)

Matt Ward

lol

I didnt know about the 1 min on / off thing but dont use em, the powermax doesnt do that.

I think id rather have a 5 min ring than a 10 min pulsed one.

:lol:

at least using a wired bell will stop this, given you can have a radio rkp and the panel is a tad unusual to look at (ugly to say the least) it will allow the panel to be upstairs say in the master bedroom wardrobe. from there a simple pop up into the loft

now received the box of tricks, so if got over the mans flue by then i'll set it up over the wekend.

has voice prompts apparently (well according to the manual :unsure: )

so i wonder if it will tell me when i do something wrong? like "oih you dipstick your PAB was progged up as a smoke" :cold2:

i just can't wait to argue with it - might even buy Gus one - for the sheer hell of it :lol:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I would rather wait untill the Agility comes out as i just do not like the Wisdom.

Love the 490x wireless combo but just had the scanny rep round today and thinking about changing to the EN range(hardwired). Solid panel and up to date downlod/upload.

Although Gardtec cannot be beaten on their wireless equipment, Scanny has a better keypad and wiring into the panel as it is set of the wall to get cables in etc. More of a solid looking panel and keypad IMO.

I think Gardtec should be looking at the panel spacing from the wall and the connections for PC programming to be on the top of the circuit board....oh the decisions! Its small things like this that makes the job easier!

!

any risco panel with a stand alone reader - you even get a status light built in.

tell it to auto part set and jobs done.

I'm getting a bit confused with parts! At our company, we fit Galaxy or Texecom as standard and I've never fitted a Risco panel before (ADI don't stock them either, apparently Risco sell direct which means I need to set up and account!)

From what I've found out, the cheapest panel that works with the external reader is the 490X panel. I believe the external reader is connected to the keypad (it cannot be wired directly into the panel). To save money, I'd rather not have prox on the keypad. What bits do I need to order?

Thanks for all your responses!

Matt

Guest anguscanplay
just fob it again to reset.

yes EN panels and yes it`s a little known fact your allowed to indicate set/unset on the actual reader itself.

not permanently though?
er - yeah

I`ll go find the text later, bit busy at the moment.

yeah go find it eh, I was sure it was timed like a keypad.

It isnt compliant as its showing status to a level 1 user.

Clause 8.3.7

You can show on G2 and below, ie its optional, but not permitted on G3 systems.

I dont however beleive its a good idea to show to the world that a system is unset from outside the protected area, even if the RA decided it was lower risk and as such G2.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I would rather wait untill the Agility comes out as i just do not like the Wisdom.

Love the 490x wireless combo but just had the scanny rep round today and thinking about changing to the EN range(hardwired). Solid panel and up to date downlod/upload.

Although Gardtec cannot be beaten on their wireless equipment, Scanny has a better keypad and wiring into the panel as it is set of the wall to get cables in etc. More of a solid looking panel and keypad IMO.

I think Gardtec should be looking at the panel spacing from the wall and the connections for PC programming to be on the top of the circuit board....oh the decisions! Its small things like this that makes the job easier!

been raising the UDL connection issue for ages with the tech desk and at shows, as i have done over wider modem compatabilty and the 300 baud rate.

really annoying even on the 800 series, if you fit a plug on board it obscures the data socket, such a daft idea, so you think they might have learned with the 490 :realmad: .

i tend to end up with lots of spare serial cables so now hard wire the expanders and mount them to the back case.

been concidering making up fly leads ended into an RJ45 or RJ11 inline socket, then i could simply modify a udl prog lead for easier use (so why don't they Gardtec that instead?).

i've not personally experienced any real issues with cable access on reasonably flat walls, i thread my cables in, ensure they are well clear of the posts to prevent crushing before tightenning down the fixing screws. you can always fit battens or longer screws passed through M8 nuts/washers or 20mm locking rings to give more space.

changing maker imo needs careful concideration, product familiarity aside it also means carrying more spares, for the new as well as the older systems.

imo one big advantage Gardtec scores on is many of the ancilliaries fit across the ranges, the radio detectors will work on CPX/490 - G595 - G8xx range - Wisdom and Prosys reducing the level of spares needed.

the newer 4 wire keypads fit the CPX/490, G595 and G8xx range, so all you need fewer rkps and wireless kit in stock, if you need another unit that compatability means your more likely to have it at hand.

i think Galxie and Texecom have some level cross range compatability but not sure if they can 'beat' Gardtec in this area. have no idea about scantronic, ued to be different rkp's for 9800 and 9600 for instance.

i wionder has anyone get 'accused' of foffering the 'cheaper' model for more money by quoting the 9600? because i have and had to exsplain the 9600 was the more sophisticated unit than a 9800 - to doubting looks :rolleyes:

reg

alan

depends on the user level set to the tag and the 'reset' authority needed in programming, set to 'any user' then the fobs will reset the panel, but will require it to be offered 2 times after an activation. this is the same fr a code, and is meant to 'jog' the user to read the panel diplay.

regs

alan

i've ordered in a Risco Wisdom Panel to have a look at, 1 wired zone 32 (i think) wireless.

has a rkp in the lid and can have a wireless keypad to set/unset. they do a wireless bell - but this pulses in alarm 1 min on 1 min off to save batteries

regs

alan

(so anyone remmember the 'chat' about fitting smokes to intruder panels then?)

ahh yes but your neighbours wouldnt hear a standalone smoke, would they?

Before just reading about that pulsing 1min on 1min off siren, If I had heard one of those go off I would have just thought it was either faulty, or they were doing tests on/maintaining or installing the alarm.

Sort of, hmm a siren, oh its stopped, must have been a mistake.

Eh, its back on.. WTF?

Double WTF its stopped again, and so on...

Would have confused me enough to convince me it was not a real alarm.

i dont think ive ever come across a faulty siren that is pulsing at a set rate. (or at any rate for that matter).

ahh yes but your neighbours wouldnt hear a standalone smoke, would they?

i dont think ive ever come across a faulty siren that is pulsing at a set rate. (or at any rate for that matter).

nothing is pwerfect, as long as the people inside the dwelling hear the noise they have a better chance to respond properly at least realising a possible fire is in progress, simply because they recognised the noise pattern so it will do its job,

have you never heard an alarm system being properly tested? i.e. to sound the bells on each sensor? well many have and the beleif is often a faulty system by JP - not a fire.

even on intruder sirens, how many neigours will immediately scale a fence or bust the door in to see if its for real? how many proper comercial fire alarmsystems have external sirens these days?

some still around buti beleive long gone are the water powered ringers beloved of AFA and the likes in the past that run off the sprinklers main supply.

regs

alan

nothing is pwerfect, as long as the people inside the dwelling hear the noise they have a better chance to respond properly at least realising a possible fire is in progress, simply because they recognised the noise pattern so it will do its job,

have you never heard an alarm system being properly tested? i.e. to sound the bells on each sensor? well many have and the beleif is often a faulty system by JP - not a fire.

even on intruder sirens, how many neigours will immediately scale a fence or bust the door in to see if its for real? how many proper comercial fire alarmsystems have external sirens these days?

some still around buti beleive long gone are the water powered ringers beloved of AFA and the likes in the past that run off the sprinklers main supply.

regs

alan

i know what your saying, im not arguing, you dangled the carrot with your post, so thought i would have a bite, LOL. (sorry).

:rolleyes:

(plus im just getting my post count up)

there are pros and cons to everything and as long as what is there does its job to protect the risks identified then thats fine.

no system is perfect enough to cover every scenario, as we both know. (no harm in trying though :ninja: )

let thread get back on topic. :yes:

Guest anguscanplay
yep

LOL, its a serious point though. i would say EVERY SINGLE site we`ve upgraded has had a least one or more times when the systems not been set due to

<<< CAN`T SET CHECK >>>

been ignored.

LOL, its a serious point though. i would say EVERY SINGLE site we`ve upgraded has had a least one or more times when the systems not been set due to

<<< CAN`T SET CHECK >>>

been ignored.

tbh Gus,

one of the biggest reasons i'm not over keen on the wholesale use of external setting devices, fobs, radio butons or ET's, should be 'horses for coarses' allowing the engineer to design with the best insight for that client imo.

your not allowed to observe th keypad from outside, but this loses sight of many keyholders, especially technophobes, sight impaired and the elderly who easily get out of synch with any sort of system when it don't do what it usually does.

imo the best idea for this job (from what has been said by the o/p) would be a CPX/490 with either the earlier keypad having a quickset key, or the using the 4 wire G595/G800 keypads having the prox built in.

set if up for auto pert set 1 if the front door is not openned (what i call au-pair set) and job done.

are there any other panels (outside of gardtecs) which the auto part set feature anyone know of?

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
tbh Gus,

one of the biggest reasons i'm not over keen on the wholesale use of external setting devices, fobs, radio butons or ET's, should be 'horses for coarses' allowing the engineer to design with the best insight for that client imo.

your not allowed to observe th keypad from outside, but this loses sight of many keyholders, especially technophobes, sight impaired and the elderly who easily get out of synch with any sort of system when it don't do what it usually does.

imo the best idea for this job (from what has been said by the o/p) would be a CPX/490 with either the earlier keypad having a quickset key, or the using the 4 wire G595/G800 keypads having the prox built in.

set if up for auto pert set 1 if the front door is not openned (what i call au-pair set) and job done.

are there any other panels (outside of gardtecs) which the auto part set feature anyone know of?

regs

alan

I`m generally on about signalled systems - auto part set no good. I explain how strobe confirm is the ONLY way they can be sure the alarms set but its such a sea change from what went before its like trying to wean you off using a neon.

I`m generally on about signalled systems - auto part set no good. I explain how strobe confirm is the ONLY way they can be sure the alarms set but its such a sea change from what went before its like trying to wean you off using a neon.

:lol: neons are like my socks - i have a pair for each day of the week - and twice on sundays :rolleyes:

i was discussing in the context of this post being a simple system for an elderly sperson to use (coud flogg him mine :unsure: )

so i think ARC is not an issue, all i know is i've spent many years training keyhoders to look at the alarm display before setting and after unsetting - but the current 'vogue' imo encourages 'set and hope' type of proceedures.

regs

alan

Risco wireless sounders constantly ring, that factory default, i programme them for ten minutes, the batteries (when new) will last for over 6 hours of ringing.

Wisdom wireless keypads are c##p with a capital C.

The wisdom is a sound panel, but i wouldnt wait for the agility cuz gods knows how many years it will take them to finally release it.

The amount of times the local branch kept banging on about the new agility, are you coming in again to see it, we have an open day the agility is on show, but no ones knows when its coming out or at what cost.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Risco wireless sounders constantly ring, that factory default, i programme them for ten minutes, the batteries (when new) will last for over 6 hours of ringing.

Wisdom wireless keypads are c##p with a capital C.

The wisdom is a sound panel, but i wouldnt wait for the agility cuz gods knows how many years it will take them to finally release it.

The amount of times the local branch kept banging on about the new agility, are you coming in again to see it, we have an open day the agility is on show, but no ones knows when its coming out or at what cost.

hi Adi,

you dislike the wisdom radio wireless keypad i wondered why?

i got a wisdom kit on the workbench for assement at the moment, set it up today all seems fairly robust and works as required. do the remotes bust or fall over or is it just the looks you don't like?

i'd appreceate your comments from youe exoperience, as if it's a 'pup' i don't want to fit it :unsure:

regs

alan

Archived