Security Installer Community

Alarm Box Siren Keeps Going Off Independant

deece

Hi All

I have a 7 year old Response Alarm PW600plus system which I believe is an ADE re badge equipment. I have kept the alarm in good condition and changed the back up battery in the control panel several times and only last year. Recently for no known reason the siren in the ADE Sonade2000 Bell box keeps going off independent of the control panel. Note this is not continuously but rather happens approx 5 times a day. I do not have any 24 faults showing. The bell box siren goes off and the siren does not flash. Seems strange it should go off independent. The only thing I can think off is that the back up battery in the bell box needs replacing as it is 7 years old. The box is in good condition as I have taken a look last night. Any ideas of what to check?

Hi the Sonade was a bit prone to this problem imo, but before it is chucked out it might be faulty lid contact on the siren and the tamper is not actually wired in so don't trigger the panel.

i'd have a look inside your control panel at the siren connections to see if it is actually wired for anti-tamper by whoever installed it - just be careful when in there to turn off the mains 1st to reduce risk of injury or fatal shock.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Alan

Thanks for the fast reply. I did take the cover off which set off the control panel buzzer and 24 hour fault led. I have a new alarm box to fit this weekend. As you say the Sonade2000 may be prone. Figures crossed i get no issues.

Hi the Sonade was a bit prone to this problem imo, but before it is chucked out it might be faulty lid contact on the siren and the tamper is not actually wired in so don't trigger the panel.

i'd have a look inside your control panel at the siren connections to see if it is actually wired for anti-tamper by whoever installed it - just be careful when in there to turn off the mains 1st to reduce risk of injury or fatal shock.

regs

alan

Check the positive supply to the external sounder is a good connection.

If you lose the postive supply intermitently (corroded connect for example) the external will activate without tampering the panel.

Check the positive supply to the external sounder is a good connection.

If you lose the postive supply intermitently (corroded connect for example) the external will activate without tampering the panel.

Just a thought but sometimes when the outer sheath is stripped from a 6 core one or more of the inner cores may get it's insulation "nicked" by the strippers or knife.

Over time this nick allows moisture into the cable causing it to corrode, it might be worth removing the cover, defeating the tamper, then pulling about on the cable a bit.

I have no experince of the Sonade housing and it may well be faulty, some early Texecom sounders used to present with similar problems but always worth checking other things before replacing because if there is a cable fault you will have the same problem with the new housing.

HI

Thanks for the advice. I check the wiring today. Last night I also noticed that the fuse for the Bell/Strobe 13v was loose. You could be right as this supplies the PIR's and bell and if loose would cause intermittent sounding of the siren. Only thing which bugs me is why it was loose. I could have knocked it when changing the battery several months ago as the control box is so small and there are lots of wires.

HI

Thanks for the advice. I check the wiring today. Last night I also noticed that the fuse for the Bell/Strobe 13v was loose. You could be right as this supplies the PIR's and bell and if loose would cause intermittent sounding of the siren. Only thing which bugs me is why it was loose. I could have knocked it when changing the battery several months ago as the control box is so small and there are lots of wires.

If its a badged ADE, then fuse clips are soldered to pcb. Ive seen loads of these clips over the years that needed pinching together to hold the fuse tightly. Dont know why they become loose, but its unlikely something you did.

Good luck & be careful on the ladder today.... wet n windy.

Archived