Security Installer Community

Mains Powered Smokes Or On Intruder Alarm?

daiashthomas

What if someone leaves a light on, goes to bed, the bulb blows, circuit trips - smokes without battery backup if on that light circuit would then be dead until you wake up and reset the breaker. If there is a fire during the night, the smokes would not alert you in those circumstances...

Kids often leave the lights on, bulbs are always blowing in our house, and it trips the breaker every time one blows.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

In SA, we are regulated by Fire standards, but these generally do not include a private house, as these are not normally required to have smoke detection.

I disagree that a battery powered smoke detector is as effective as a 12volt smoke detector connected to an alarm panel. While it is preferable to install a fire system, this adds costs.

In terms of different sounds from the same siren, most panels have programmable output, which can trigger a dedicated bell, a sound bomb/piezo siren or other visual or audible indicators for a fire alarm.

As mentioned in this forum, I have also heard many stories of battery operated smokes, without batteries, as these have been removed to power other irrelevant devices.

I am not sure of the UK regs regarding smoke detectors or how the inspectors enforce them, but I do believe in smoke detectors, battery only least, then alarm connected, then fire alarm, in that order of priority. In the US apparently a new reg states that smokes must be interconnected in a house.

Smokes should always be connected on a dedicated smoke/fire zone, be wired correctly, programmed correctly, and have sufficient battery backup.

Regards

NitroN

I personally prefer fire detectors connected to the intruder system, (if you have a decent panel that is).

i have a keypad next to my bed so that when a detector operates i know where the fire is (each fire detector on seperate zone) i use a seperate fire output to trigger GSM communicator and another plus point is i have never had a false activation ( i use hochiki conventional on conversion base plus a co2 in living room.

I personally prefer fire detectors connected to the intruder system, (if you have a decent panel that is).

i have a keypad next to my bed so that when a detector operates i know where the fire is (each fire detector on seperate zone) i use a seperate fire output to trigger GSM communicator and another plus point is i have never had a false activation ( i use hochiki conventional on conversion base plus a co2 in living room.

now thats home safety :P

silver2.jpg

Available by PM for

• 2 years later...

I'd fit smokes/heats to the alarm via a dialler personally.

I fitted both in my own house, 240volt ones are too sensitive and sometimes trigger when making din din.

Never have had a false alarm off alarm smokes/heats, they

also give u peace of mind if your away from home.

Your fa's would have come from ionisation smokes, if opticals were fitted, doubt you would of had a problem.

Bet your intruder smokes are optical.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Your fa's would have come from ionisation smokes, if opticals were fitted, doubt you would of had a problem.

Bet your intruder smokes are optical.

You might want to check the dates on this thread adi. B))

Archived