Security Installer Community

Virgin & Talk Talk - Digi Not Communicating

Hi, any1 have any ideas. Using panel with built in digi and communicates great normally to ARC. However have noticed that with Virgin & TalkTalk there are probs & comms fails. Voltage I'm told is as high as 100(!) on some and as low as 25 on others. Some1 told me that it's because theyr usin combination of digital & analogue. Any ideas what to do to fix this as causing me probs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes i'd filter before the digi as digi's can kill ADSL

ta, appreciate u coming back quick. What about ones that already have filter. I've heard a few rumours that Virgin & TT are not so hot. I admit that comms side not my strength. they should be at 50V, is that right?

never heard of any pre filtered digis what filters are you using? i recomend the z blockers from act and before you connect the digi have a listen to see if you can hear any noise. Your right there should be 50v on a pstn line when in "normal" state

Mark Terry

A.M.I. Security

Covering the Thames Valley

Tel. 01189 775173 24hours

mark.terry@amisecurity.co.uk

never heard of any pre filtered digis what filters are you using? i recomend the z blockers from act and before you connect the digi have a listen to see if you can hear any noise. Your right there should be 50v on a pstn line when in "normal" state

Sorry meant that filter had been fitted in the panel on some jobs (broadband) and still failing to communicate. just can't get head round why no probs communicating on bt lines etc but when cust usin Virgin & TT I'm gettin weird stuff happenin, like not comms and 100v & 25V. Changed panel still doesnt work. Tested panel b4 and communicated fine on BT line. Am goin grey and need a pint quick with this one!

If you are signalling to a 08 number check for number barring. happened to me at my place apparently the missus set it up and "forgot " to tell me took me 4 hours and 2 digis and a lot of swearing to sort that one

Mark Terry

A.M.I. Security

Covering the Thames Valley

Tel. 01189 775173 24hours

mark.terry@amisecurity.co.uk

If you are signalling to a 08 number check for number barring. happened to me at my place apparently the missus set it up and "forgot " to tell me took me 4 hours and 2 digis and a lot of swearing to sort that one

women! Thanx didn't thnk of that & should have. Will check

when you connect your butt phone are you able to dial the receiver numbers and do you hear the handshake (anoying beeping noice)

on one virgin line we couldn't get anything. was like had locked up. disconnected & re-connected and then was ok, for a while anyway. have got to go back to job as customer sayin not receivin any signals when alarm has gone off

Talk Talk will not work because they have their own equipment in the exchanges that route everything over IP, this then causes a small delay which is enough to prevent the digi from kissing off, digi dials again up to its preset dial limit, usually results in ARC receiving signals 10 times and panel displaying comms fail. With Virgin ADSL I would assume the same, with Virgins own Cables (if they have cable TV) it should be OK.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest anguscanplay
Talk Talk will not work because they have their own equipment in the exchanges that route everything over IP, this then causes a small delay which is enough to prevent the digi from kissing off,

hmm, coming soon to a BT number near you ( its how 21CN will work - but from CABINET level :fear: )

hmm, coming soon to a BT number near you ( its how 21CN will work - but from CABINET level :fear: )

QFA, I cant wait....................................................................NOT!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Round my way TalkTalk went "live" on their LLU kit on Monday.

I know someone who was already with TT for both phone & broadband (over BT kit obviously) and they just got a letter the week before saying roughly "from next week your broadband will be free" which they had just glanced at and filed.

Fortunately this particular person doesn't have an alarm that dials out or is monitored so there's no issue for them, but there wasn't any sort of suggestion that it might need looking at.

Mind you the LLU migration has been a disaster for them so far...... :o

• 2 weeks later...

Its the delay in signal transmission my man,look up "loop unbundling",apparently all third party providers need to be prefixed with 1280 to put the call back on to BT's equipment,but if the third party provider has installed it's own equipment in the phone exchange then i'm affraid its's G.A.M.E. O.V.E.R...........

Its the delay in signal transmission my man,look up "loop unbundling",apparently all third party providers need to be prefixed with 1280 to put the call back on to BT's equipment,but if the third party provider has installed it's own equipment in the phone exchange then i'm affraid its's G.A.M.E. O.V.E.R...........

How definite is this (re own kit)?

In my area TalkTalk have just installed LLU phone kit and are heavily marketing "free broadband" as a result. Will anyone/everyone with monitored alarms get problems if they take this up or is it dependant on the monitoring technology (and if so how?).

I just get involved on the broadband fall-out but it helps to know so as to advise people.

Virgin is 100% cable in my area, so obviously different.

Not sure what other LLU phone providers there are though - is Tiscali in that game too?

Here is a good reference of what is going on... http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

There are some in the industry that would like you to think it's "GAME OVER" and will happily sign you up for their mega-bucks ACPO+BSIA+NSI+SSAIB approved IP+GSM+GPRS+PSTN+ISDN+VPN+DIAL-UP+BELLS+WHISTLES quadruple redundancy, mega encrypted, un-hackable, private network, managed solution :o - but it's really not that bad - honestly ;)

My company have a simple, low cost, plug and play solution to everything technical that's going on, but unfortunately, what we cannot do is overcome the archaic attitude that prevails in UK ARC's. :'(

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

We have just had the 'upgrade' by talktalk and happily the digi works just fine.

Herein lies the problem. Spider and his customer are unknowing victims of his inspectorates' complete lack of aforesight and ability to handle what has been happening in the UK for years now with the onslaught of IP.

Don't take this the wrong way spider, but you've just moved into a whole new world of IP (even though nobody bothers to tell you that up front) and sending a couple of succesful test signals through to the ARC does not mean that the "digi works just fine". In the IP world, what that means is that the network was operating under stable conditions and you were able to get a couple of good signals through to the ARC - this time.

What you really need to do is wait for the next time Britney Spears or Paris Hilton post their latest sexual romp live on the internet and then try a couple more test signals. My point is, your digi may very well work when the network is not under any major load, but may NOT work when it is under strain. I'll bet your customer has absolutely no idea that this is the case.

Your digi talks analogue until it hits the TalkTalk IP network, at which stage they convert it to digital. It then gets converted back to analogue as it hits the telco provider equipment of the ARC. This in itself is not the end of the world, but the problem is that the IP portion of the journey uses codecs that are designed to give the best possible VOICE quality. They don't give a threepenny bit about data traffic and as a result - it gets compressed to death !

I've been repeatedly barking this information on here for a looooooooong time now. Just waiting for the first death from fire or personal attack where a signal does not get through and perhaps it will sink in :!:

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

Archived