Security Installer Community

nacoss - ssaib

Guest clare-spencer-jones

After looking at various companies in relation to having an alarm fitted, i decided to contact a few. One company in particular was registered with ssaib, whereas the others were in the Nacoss scheme. When i asked the SSAIB company the difference , he said that there was no difference. However my insuarance company will only offer a discount on a nacoss installed alarm. So, are the two "schemes" the same , and if not, whats the difference?

:(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However my insuarance company will only offer a discount on a nacoss installed alarm

Your Insurance company cannot do this, and Pete is correct in stating that the SSAIB will fight your corner.

Both the NSI and SSAIB, have to comply with the same standards of installation and aftercare, so as far as any customer is concerned their is no difference between the two.

Thanks Pete, I know your very proud of your NSI GOLD status. I`m pleased to see you not trying to bias Clare in an NSI direction.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Just a quickie to say that I have worked for NSI (NACOSS) firms in the past and currently manage an SSAIB Registered Firm. There is virtually no difference in the Quality Audit & proceedures.

Go for quality. A firm that promises to do its very best to hide cables, make good any holes etc is the one to choose (as well as looking for value for money).

Remeber, a guy in a suit selling / surveying is unlikely to be the one pulling in & hiding cables.

Ask how he's going to get the cables around the house. If he tells you its the Eng's problem, he's only interested in your signature and not too bothered about the end result.

In the short time I've been a member of this site, I would say all of us share a passion for quality and good service towards the client.

Post your location and I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you make your choice.

Best regards

Chris :D

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

I live in area called St Helens, Which for anyone who in unsure, it's inbetween Manchester and Liverpool, so any suggestion of any "good" companies in my area.

Thanks for the advice though, i will speak to my insurance again, the lady I spoke to said as far as she was aware it had to be a nacoss approved installer who installed the alarm, so theres a possibility she could be mistaken.

Thanks again.

Guest Andyp

Hi Clare

I work for a SSAIB registered company that has recently come up against this problem when quoting for a large project.

The insurance company later backed down and agreed that 'equal or approved' was acceptable.

I hope you find some one to help you, I am sure there is someone on this site in that area.

Regards

Andy

Bigger the better ..?

The SSAIB (Security Systems and Alarms Inspection Board) now holds accreditation in the areas of intruder alarms, access control, CCTV, alarm receiving centres, manned guarding and key holding and response services.

With all these activities, the SSAIB now says its scope of accreditation is wider than any other similar certification body in the security sector, thereby enabling SSAIB to offer a fully comprehensive service package.

Chief executive officer Geoff Tate said: "Our intention was to build on our existing UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) recognised certification schemes for electronic security systems, CCTV and alarm receiving centres, thereby extending the range of services we offer to the security industry.

"The extension to our Scope of Accreditation demonstrates our commitment to provide certification schemes for a broad range of manned security services.

"We can now offer certification schemes complemented by ISO 9001: 2000 quality management systems."

B)

Hi Clare

I work for a SSAIB registered company that has recently come up against this problem when quoting for a large project.

The insurance company later backed down and agreed that 'equal or approved' was acceptable.

I hope you find some one to help you, I am sure there is someone on this site in that area.

Regards

Andy

The firm I used to work for was SSAIB. We were told for years by the great Mike Lyndski that SSAIB was good and NACOSS was bad. Then he upped and legged it to NACOSS lol. I guess any man can be bought.

The only real difference between Nacoss and SSAIB is that the SSAIB is allegedly non profit making and was created by the industry where as Nacoss makes money on a vast scale and was created not by the industry but rather than the insurance companies. This is why the scoff at SSAIB. I'm sure Mr Lyndski will digress a new assumption of both now he's found NACOSS to be groovy.

How we used to get around this 'no SSAIB please' from the insurance companies was to install the system and get another firm to certify the install. A pain in the back side indeed but worked on those real important installs that just had to be done.

Tony.

ACE.gif

I live in area called St Helens, Which for anyone who in unsure, it's inbetween Manchester and Liverpool, so any suggestion of any "good" companies in my area.

Thats just down the road from Rainford. Tis a shame David Grant (ACT Meters) doesn't do installs any more. Saying that though, he told me his first alarms were made from Rover buscuit tins. Long before the industry we know today was even thought of.

Tony

ACE.gif

• 2 weeks later...
It's the same old story that it's easy to slag off those that are better than you.

That is and always will be just an opinion, :) The easiest thing to do (and the most un-professional regardless of the topic!) is to 'slag off' the competition. :(

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

If the NSI is non-proffit making, then how come they are the most expensive Inspectorate to belong to..? The only thing that has stopped my boss going to NSI is the extra cost that is involved.

Why cant the NSI lower its costs, If they could match the price of belonging to the SSAIB then they would be the largest Inspectorate in the UK.

Archived