Security Installer Community

Galaxy G3 Aux Volts Dropping Low

Herman

Is anyone out there experiencing unexplained false alarm issues with Galaxy G3 panels.

I think there may be an issue with the aux voltage dropping low, when the system does its internal battery test, thus causing closed sensors to go open, particularly on the longer cable runs where the supply voltage is already being compromised.

I'm not talking (at this stage) about smart PSU's, just what's being driven from the system board.

The phenomenon may be an effect of how power is being pulled through the G3 board as OV is being taken from the various zone commons, of which are not always wired in exactly the same configuration.

Could equally be on the G2 range as well, but I haven't yet had a chance to scope one out.

Your thoughts please....

Is anyone out there experiencing unexplained false alarm issues with Galaxy G3 panels.

I think there may be an issue with the aux voltage dropping low, when the system does its internal battery test, thus causing closed sensors to go open, particularly on the longer cable runs where the supply voltage is already being compromised.

I'm not talking (at this stage) about smart PSU's, just what's being driven from the system board.

The phenomenon may be an effect of how power is being pulled through the G3 board as OV is being taken from the various zone commons, of which are not always wired in exactly the same configuration.

Could equally be on the G2 range as well, but I haven't yet had a chance to scope one out.

Your thoughts please....

whats your quiescent and alarm loads?

whats the cable resistance of your longest run?

whats the cable resistance on the longest run?

whats your longest cable run?

whats your average cable run length?

are you using cheap "domestic only" cable such as the budget stuff from Ventcroft as this has a different spec to normal grade alarm cable and is only suitable for short runs?

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Your thoughts please....

your detectors should work down to about 10.8 volts before 'faulting'

i'm not a G2 user, but from what you describe i'd check the aux output fuse holder is tight, a loose fuse will restrict total current available (often shows up as low output voltage under load).

put you meter on amps, place in series with one leg of the aux output to test the current drawn from the aux output, add up the detectors total requirements and see if they are close to whats your 'reading'. if higher you may have a partial short from perhaps a crushed cable, or duff detector but you need to trace it by breaking down the circuits.

you need to keep in mind actually spare current available from the panels psu to run the pir's, it might state it's 2 amp but thats total available, the panel and siren will draw about say 700 ma +. there are other considerations like flat battery recharging capacity.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

whats your quiescent and alarm loads?

whats the cable resistance of your longest run?

whats the cable resistance on the longest run?

whats your longest cable run?

whats your average cable run length?

are you using cheap "domestic only" cable such as the budget stuff from Ventcroft as this has a different spec to normal grade alarm cable and is only suitable for short runs?

Such characteristics as cable length, resistance, load current and what not are all fairly constant.

It fails to explain why the aux voltage periodically sags.

your detectors should work down to about 10.8 volts before 'faulting'

i'm not a G2 user, but from what you describe i'd check the aux output fuse holder is tight, a loose fuse will restrict total current available (often shows up as low output voltage under load).

put you meter on amps, place in series with one leg of the aux output to test the current drawn from the aux output, add up the detectors total requirements and see if they are close to whats your 'reading'. if higher you may have a partial short from perhaps a crushed cable, or duff detector but you need to trace it by breaking down the circuits.

you need to keep in mind actually spare current available from the panels psu to run the pir's, it might state it's 2 amp but thats total available, the panel and siren will draw about say 700 ma +. there are other considerations like flat battery recharging capacity.

regs

alan

Apprciate your fuse theory, but I'm not talking about a dicky fault, I'm talking about sitting down with a scope and a G3 panel and simply watching the variance exhibited by the aux output.

I was half hoping some //.Large National Installer.// techy (or any other major G2/G3 installer) would be experiencing similar issues.

Archived