Security Installer Community

Long Trem Sub-contracting.

dunt

can someone help me :(

i plan to go self-employed and long term sub-contract from one company for the foreseeable future. years ?

i will be using my own

van

fuel

insurances

tools

phone

etc, etc,

i have between 30-50 preventive & corrective calls to do from monday to friday, a set price of

i plan to go self-employed and long term sub-contract from one company for the foreseeable future. years ?

ican i sub-contract long term with out being deemed as an employee And getting wacked with a fine from HMRC ?

If you were in the IT business they'd get you PDQ under IR35, you'd be treated as an employee for sure.

Not sure how the IR look at the Alarm business at present though.

Guest anguscanplay

you`ll be fine - been doing it that way myself for several years now - couple of pointers

you can over bill the company - think about fortnightly invoices instead

make sure all your other customers are not all private - you need some (not many) other subby invoices too

likewise the other firm need to be seen to use other contractors

send them a quote before you start and regularly (every 8 months or so) requote them for a specific job

likewise the other firm need to pay you every now and again for doing a different job for them - not all service calls

no doubt I`ll think of some more and post them later

Angus

right been thinking LOL

30 to 50 per week ? thats a hell of a lot to get through (and how much per call - ish?)

Yup, and do the maths on how many sites you cover in a year! Even at 2 or 4 visits each (or could it be more?)

And based in NI if I read it right? What company has that many sites? And they'd need to be close together....

Or are you subbing to a "large alarm company"?

Guest anguscanplay
Yup, and do the maths on how many sites you cover in a year! Even at 2 or 4 visits each (or could it be more?)

And based in NI if I read it right? What company has that many sites? And they'd need to be close together....

Or are you subbing to a "large alarm company"?

dunno Andy - I average 30 service calls a week and never leave a Sheffield postcode, but even that number takes some planning and forcing people to let you in

we also get more for calls than service visits

ahh dont start me... i have worked for the company going on 9 years now, and id say they would have 2500-3000 installs over 14years. for the past 4 years ive been doing average 30 calls per week for them, but they offered me subbin for 30-50 calls p/w so i took up the challange...

on the first week...

mon 830am-6pm

tue 8am-630pm

wed 730am-7pm

thur 8am-630pm

fri 7am-6pm

sat 8am-2pm 675miles completed a total of 54 corrective & preventive calls

most of the work is in one county and the office pre-books all the work 1 week in advance each day id be working in or around one town and some times there would be 2-3 services within walking distance of each other, especialy new devlopments. its alright setting off with 7 or 8 domestic calls to do each day but a few usualy drop out, so i keep a good stock of business calls that are not booked in, to fall back on.

as for the rate... just a bit more than a bakers dozen per call ;)

but i wouldnt be going that flat every week, only when i feel like a burst. good average 40ish.

You need to be charging at least double that. Per call and extra for changing stuff on a visit.

A no access call should be charged at a third motre than that, its not your fault there customer was not in.

Guest anguscanplay
ahh dont start me... i have worked for the company going on 9 years now, and id say they would have 2500-3000 installs over 14years. for the past 4 years ive been doing average 30 calls per week for them, but they offered me subbin for 30-50 calls p/w so i took up the challange... on the first week... mon 830am-6pmtue 8am-630pmwed 730am-7pmthur 8am-630pmfri 7am-6pmsat 8am-2pm 675miles completed a total of 54 corrective & preventive callsmost of the work is in one county and the office pre-books all the work 1 week in advance each day id be working in or around one town and some times there would be 2-3 services within walking distance of each other, especialy new devlopments. its alright setting off with 7 or 8 domestic calls to do each day but a few usualy drop out, so i keep a good stock of business calls that are not booked in, to fall back on. as for the rate... just a bit more than a bakers dozen per call ;) but i wouldnt be going that flat every week, only when i feel like a burst. good average 40ish.

you happy with the possible earnings ?

You need to be charging at least double that. Per call and extra for changing stuff on a visit.A no access call should be charged at a third motre than that, its not your fault there customer was not in.

dont work like that I`m afraid

Archived