Security Installer Community

21 Cn

:hmm: Let's think about that for a moment.

Optimise the network for crystal clear voice and keep tens of millions of customers happy or change it to suit a few hundred thousand digis and jeopordise our "Digi Replacement Strategy" ?

Arf - there is no BT software, the network runs on SIP. The problems only occur when the network is under load and try as you may - it cannot be fixed.

you will have to bare with me, i'm not into remote signaling these days (due to URN restrictions) so i have not read to deeply into the finer points of this new technology.

to clarify Gartec (the kit i favour) have sent out a bulletin claiming all their kit operates properly under full test lab condition within the peraneters laid down by BT.

i'm old enough so not gullible enough to be one who see's a bench test as a full fiate test :no: but until it's rolled out, i have no 'evidence' against them, and i do still have several monitored systems in operation all with recent digi's fitted as i moved the systems to confirmed signals, so i do need to keep apace of any possible ill effects.

it's not just alarm digi's there are modems, fax machines, private monitoring like councils have for schools and libraries, and miriad of other kit which will need to overcome the new restrictions. so i don't think BT can be blaisy and overlook this client base, as problems could be costly and very very bad publicity for them - they also have a duty of care.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

you will have to bare with me, i'm not into remote signaling these days (due to URN restrictions) so i have not read to deeply into the finer points of this new technology.

to clarify Gartec (the kit i favour) have sent out a bulletin claiming all their kit operates properly under full test lab condition within the peraneters laid down by BT.

i'm old enough so not gullible enough to be one who see's a bench test as a full fiate test :no: but until it's rolled out, i have no 'evidence' against them, and i do still have several monitored systems in operation all with recent digi's fitted as i moved the systems to confirmed signals, so i do need to keep apace of any possible ill effects.

it's not just alarm digi's there are modems, fax machines, private monitoring like councils have for schools and libraries, and miriad of other kit which will need to overcome the new restrictions. so i don't think BT can be blaisy and overlook this client base, as problems could be costly and very very bad publicity for them - they also have a duty of care.

Arf - you are thinking like an honest man. I suffer from the same problem and sometimes get taken advantage of.

Something tells me that BT are not being totally honest - but I just can't figure out why just yet - unless they secretly own Emizon ?

Either they don't care about modems, fax machines, private monitoring like councils have for schools and libraries, and miriad of other kit that you mention - or they are up to something :ninja:

VoIP (21CN if you like) hit the alarm industry hard 5 years ago in the US and continues to do so today. The difference is, their industry bodies paid for all the studies and experiments and concluded a long time ago that ALARMS DO NOT WORK OVER VOIP - or 21CN in our case.

BT can't tell us that they do not know all about that ;)

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

Guest anguscanplay

youve obviously not read the bit where it says they all need new chips then ( at a cost too) and a special (there words not mine LOL) tool to insert them

telling you - prodigies, forget them in a few years time

and why are you doing confirmation upgrades ( your secretly an NSI gold on the side arn`t you PMSL)

Something tells me that BT are not being totally honest - but I just can't figure out why just yet - unless they secretly own Emizon ?

Thankfully, I can assure you Emizon are not owned by RedCARE :)

VoIP (21CN if you like) hit the alarm industry hard 5 years ago in the US and continues to do so today. The difference is, their industry bodies paid for all the studies and experiments and concluded a long time ago that ALARMS DO NOT WORK OVER VOIP - or 21CN in our case.

Couldn't agree more. Several large building societies came a cropper recently. They use there phone system for alarm signal transmissions through to the ARC. The phone system got upgraged to an IP based system... and the 'Fail to Communicate' messages flooded in from the staff in the branches.

Technical Manager

NSI/LPC Approved Alarm Receiving Centre

South Manchester

youve obviously not read the bit where it says they all need new chips then ( at a cost too) and a special (there words not mine LOL) tool to insert them

telling you - prodigies, forget them in a few years time

and why are you doing confirmation upgrades ( your secretly an NSI gold on the side arn`t you PMSL)

naught to do with being NSI gold.

i did not see any reference to the need for upgrade or a tool, will see if i can dig it out and have another look

i still have several systems on digi monitoring in the london area, as systems went dodgy or other facilities required like g-tag (usually older scannies on sequencial timed confirm) they got replaced.

as improvements or innovations come on line, as i'm sure you do i advise my clients of the benefits - simple as, obviously confirmed signals with 1st knock key holder only, reduces the risk of Police blacklisting, so makes perfect sense to upgrade that systems signaling and so to keep the regular income for monitoring.

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
as improvements or innovations come on line, as i'm sure you do i advise my clients of the benefits - simple as, obviously confirmed signals with 1st knock key holder only, reduces the risk of Police blacklisting, so makes perfect sense to upgrade that systems signaling and so to keep the regular income for monitoring.

regs

alan

right so there not actually your jobs then (because you cant "own" ones with police response) or someone else is been very naughty

right so there not actually your jobs then (because you cant "own" ones with police response) or someone else is been very naughty

NOPE! they are my jobs lock stock and barrel, you don't seem to know too much about the history or the current facts of alarm monitoring

early days of trading, i did not to want be responsible for monitoring, simply because i know signals can and did get missed, so my clients used to pay direct to the CS (Central Stations in old school language - so ARC to you ;) ). then it came about that was no longer allowed, so the clients had to pay through me as a then 'accredited' installer with the Police, the local POlice HQ CPO used to decide if you were accredited, basically you needed to be trading for 6 months :P .

the met area (as yet) have not removed response from my 'legacy' systems, unlike all the other UK forces. if any of the jobs were to ever be blacklisted, then monitoring would not be restored and another company would have to take them over to reinstate it, so i keep them on the ball to prevent this and reduce any cost involved if they have to migrate.

as much as i don't want the responsibility and so liability involved, none of these remaining monitored clients want to shift alarm companies, just a mad loyalty thing and i bet you have clients just like that too.

regs

alan

Our panel at work shows line fault and line restored at or around 1am every sunday night. Around 30 seconds between logs.

get the line listed as an alarm line to have the automatic line testing stopped by BT exchange.

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
none of these remaining monitored clients want to shift alarm companies, just a mad loyalty thing .

regs

alan

there not the only mad ones, how do you sleep at night because its your nuts in the vice when it all goes pear shaped (however well covered you think you are) because your not upto date with DD etc

sell em quick before you get caught out LOL

there not the only mad ones, how do you sleep at night because its your nuts in the vice when it all goes pear shaped (however well covered you think you are) because your not upto date with DD etc

sell em quick before you get caught out LOL

i sleep very soundly - but thanks for asking matey.

nothing to get caught out about, i'm not hiding anything or doing anything illegal or immoral.

all the kit is high quality, and if i say so myself very well installed (well it would be - it was installed by me). all these systems are maintained as required 2 per year, with no 'remote in' maintenances, what ever the heck one of those is? as i'd like to see a cable thats become dislodged, a siren thats been foamed or a loose door contact be seen let alone fixed remotely - so about as much use a an 'emergency' spare tyre on a tank imho :bruce_h4h: )

i personally visit and test and inspect every one of item, i don't just check the log, test the battery, detectors, sirens and signaling, they are treated as though they have had the false alarm record from hell (and i have very few false alarms), and only then do i invoice.

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
i sleep very soundly - but thanks for asking matey.

nothing to get caught out about, i'm not hiding anything or doing anything illegal or immoral.

all the kit is high quality, and if i say so myself very well installed (well it would be - it was installed by me). all these systems are maintained as required 2 per year, with no 'remote in' maintenances, what ever the heck one of those is? as i'd like to see a cable thats become dislodged, a siren thats been foamed or a loose door contact be seen let alone fixed remotely - so about as much use a an 'emergency' spare tyre on a tank imho :bruce_h4h: )

i personally visit and test and inspect every one of item, i don't just check the log, test the battery, detectors, sirens and signaling, they are treated as though they have had the false alarm record from hell (and i have very few false alarms), and only then do i invoice.

regs

alan

but you dont do 24hr callout - you said so yourself

question - any of these sites changed owners in the last few years?

but you dont do 24hr callout - you said so yourself

question - any of these sites changed owners in the last few years?

where did i ever say i don't offer 24 hour call out?

you must read what i actually write, as ever long that might be :rolleyes:

i have said i don't charge for the facility of contacting me or someone acting for me who i pay to stand by for me. my ethos is this, the client has paid me to do the job for which i claim expertise, so will be trouble free in preference to doing it him/herself or engaging someone like a sparks or fireman on the side.

now i see as if i can't manage to fit a system which is utterly reliable so (forfilling that trust) - then why should they pay me to be on standbye for my own mistakes? after all i choose the kit, i choose the locations, i choose the cioveridge so go figure is my stand point

when i go on holiday my son who was trained by me covers as the 1st port of call, or if he has had a drink or unavailable for personal reasons, the NSI Gold Co will cover me as 'part and parcel' of getting my monitoring hand overs free of commission, keeps my clients covered and the NSI co honest.

in all the time i have traded, (and you can beleive it or not), not one 'out of hours' site call has ever been needed to be made by the cover engineers, the systems are designed to be that robust - point blank i don't do false alarms for the reason of cover.

i do get calls where building works take place, but i train my clients from the outset with a very grinding lesson of how things work and notice to be given - and i know you won't beleive me when i say i can be surprisingly grinding for such an interesting persona ;) .

end of the day, it's how you start your business and how you continue to apply yourself and your value's to it, an extra 10 mins of schooling the users, pays absolute dividends.

(by the way i can be hired as a 'grinding advisor' for a very reasonable imo

Guest anguscanplay

nah - its wrong mate, the fact I cant put my finger on the exact reason is frustraiting (sic), your winging it. but its your business (and neck on the block) not mine so lets agree to leave it there

regrds

Angus

nah - its wrong mate, the fact I cant put my finger on the exact reason is frustraiting (sic), your winging it. but its your business (and neck on the block) not mine so lets agree to leave it there

regrds

Angus

it's all we can do is agree to disagree, but i'm not 'winging' anything as like i say it's all above board right through to the insurance companies acceptances - in writing.

and theres no problem with the kit, installation or my abilities and skills

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
it's all we can do is agree to disagree, but i'm not 'winging' anything as like i say it's all above board right through to the insurance companies acceptances - in writing.

and theres no problem with the kit, installation or my abilities and skills

regs

alan

well if you want it to keep rumbling on - non of these sites changed ownership in the last few years either I assume

• 2 years later...

Used the search button! Did'nt see this topic before. Today we have had our first complaint from a Virgin Media customer experiencing high bills owing to the periodic test dialing 10 times per night.I've asked the customer to speak with Virgin to find out if they have been put onto 21CN.

Archived