Security Installer Community

Unknown Alarm Make (no Manuf Name Anywhere)

jquin

We moved into our house and are not really using the alarm because the chime is so noisy it wakes up our baby. It really is ridiculously loud. There is no brand on either the main box or keypad. Does anyone have a manual or know how to turn it down or turn it off? We have the normal code but not the engineer's code. The previous owner says they never had the engineer's code. I tried ringing the alarm company whose sticker is on the box but they don't have it either and the engineer who came for the annual inspection didn't know how to turn it off. It seems to work fine so I'm reluctant to replace it unless we have to. Although if anyone happens to know that this model is sufficiently old as to be easy to overcome I'd be grateful to know that it would be better to replace it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

post-15924-1200251229_thumb.jpg

post-15924-1200251245_thumb.jpg

post-15924-1200251254_thumb.jpg

It's a Scantronic 9100.

By my reckoning, looking at your keypad piccy, the chime isn't enabled (the chime LED would be illuminated if it was).

It is possible to enable/disable the chime using the user code but I don't think you can reduce the volume of the chime (not without codging the speaker).

It's a Scantronic 9100.

By my reckoning, looking at your keypad piccy, the chime isn't enabled (the chime LED would be illuminated if it was).

It is possible to enable/disable the chime using the user code but I don't think you can reduce the volume of the chime (not without codging the speaker).

Thanks for info on the make/model. Sorry - I think I've used the wrong term. Every key press (e.g. entering the code) makes both the keypad by the door and main keypad box emit a very loud beep. It's this that I'm trying to switch off.

Similarly when you set it, it beeps very loudly for 30 seconds. This is not such a big problem but it seems to be as loud as the internal alarm and you could definitely hear it inside our neighbour's house if we were setting or unsetting at night.

Thanks for info on the make/model. Sorry - I think I've used the wrong term. Every key press (e.g. entering the code) makes both the keypad by the door and main keypad box emit a very loud beep. It's this that I'm trying to switch off.

Similarly when you set it, it beeps very loudly for 30 seconds. This is not such a big problem but it seems to be as loud as the internal alarm and you could definitely hear it inside our neighbour's house if we were setting or unsetting at night.

Quite a few systems (dunno about this one though) do that after they've been triggered as an alarm, i.e. get very noisy. It's a reminder that they have been triggered and need checking and resetting.

You may need to follow the normal alarm reset procedure to make it go back to normal.

That may be an engineer function though....... (no doubt someone will advise soon)

Brilliant. From your info that it's a Scantronic 9100 I've now found a full manual and it shows an "Entry/Exit Volume Control" dial on the circuit board which sounds like what I need. The problem is that even when it isn't set, when I try to remove the cover the alarm sounds which I presume is anti-tamper. Is there any way to temporarily switch that off? I can remove the power to the main panel but I wondered if that would set it off as well.

If not, I can just push through the noise one afternoon while I turn down the volume.

Archived