Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800 Behaviour

julians999

Hi all,

I have a scantronic 9800 based house alarm that was installed before we bought the house a couple of years ago, it all seems to work fine, but unfortunately we were burgled a couple of weeks ago, and I suspect the burglary was performed by someone that knew the code.

They smashed the patio door glass and triggered the lounge PIR.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the alarm is supposed to behave once it has been triggered? because when I got home to discover the burglary the alarm did not ask me to input my code, it was displaying 'c4' which according to the manual means zone 4 (in this case the lounge) was triggered, but it was in effect in a disarmed state.

I gather that once an alarm has been triggered, the bell should sound for a maximum of 20 minutes then the system should reset, but do they normally reset to a disarmed state or back into an armed state.

Unfortunately this is not something I can easily test myself without the neighbours thinking I've been burgled again.

Thanks for your help, hopefully you can understand what I'm getting at.

cheers

Hi all,

I have a scantronic 9800 based house alarm that was installed before we bought the house a couple of years ago, it all seems to work fine, but unfortunately we were burgled a couple of weeks ago, and I suspect the burglary was performed by someone that knew the code.

They smashed the patio door glass and triggered the lounge PIR.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the alarm is supposed to behave once it has been triggered? because when I got home to discover the burglary the alarm did not ask me to input my code, it was displaying 'c4' which according to the manual means zone 4 (in this case the lounge) was triggered, but it was in effect in a disarmed state.

I gather that once an alarm has been triggered, the bell should sound for a maximum of 20 minutes then the system should reset, but do they normally reset to a disarmed state or back into an armed state.

Unfortunately this is not something I can easily test myself without the neighbours thinking I've been burgled again.

Thanks for your help, hopefully you can understand what I'm getting at.

cheers

Sorry to hear you were burgled but this is a classic example of an alarm that should have been serviced to ensure it was working...get it checked by a pro company if I were you. There is a list of companies on this site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

The alarm was and is working, ie the bell goes off if a PIR is triggered.

What I want to know is , once the bell has sounded for 20 minutes and then silenced ( as per guidelines) , should it return to an armed state ( ie bell will sounds again when PIR triggered) or an unarmed state (ie as if someone typed in the correct code).

Thanks

The alarm was and is working, ie the bell goes off if a PIR is triggered.

What I want to know is , once the bell has sounded for 20 minutes and then silenced ( as per guidelines) , should it return to an armed state ( ie bell will sounds again when PIR triggered) or an unarmed state (ie as if someone typed in the correct code).

Thanks

That all depends on how it's been programed, you won't know that and neither will anybody on here.

It needs checking by a pro.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

hi,

a horrible experience to have had,

if it was showing 'C4' when you entered this would mean (barring faults) the system has been switched off but not 'uer reset'. his could have been done by a neighbour who has the code, or as you suspect by a person knowing the code used or using the default code the panel comes with and getting 'lucky'.

this panel supports 4 user codes which you can normally change yourself - assuming you know all four beforehand. you should have the system serviced as a competent engineer should be able to clear the codes, having done then so show you how to input new ones.

i would say here what a very good panel the 9800 is, but has to be said is now very dated. on many newer panels a time and date log is available so you would have known what time the alarm was armed, triggered and subsequently who switched it off afterwards (assuming you insist on personal codes for each user), so now it might be wise to consider an upgrade.

regs

alan.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I've just been reading the manual, and have reset the main user code, and I have also enabled and reset user code 2.

Also according to the manual the default is for the system to rearm itself once, which I presume it did.

Might well investigate an upgrade.

cheers for the info all.

Guest anguscanplay
I've just been reading the manual, and have reset the main user code, and I have also enabled and reset user code 2.

Also according to the manual the default is for the system to rearm itself once, which I presume it did.

Might well investigate an upgrade.

cheers for the info all.

thats the default but no one would leave a bells only system on single re arm,( however there is a software bug where if the installer programmes a certain function - but doesnt programe the coresponding action a default code is left in the system that would unset it ( answer in the trade forum for you boys if you wanna know) but even on single re arm from your description SOMEONE has turned the alarm off prior to your arrival.

can you read the log and post what it says here ?

Unfortunately the log is no good, it has overwritten itself since the event.

I dont think I'll ever really know whether someone did disarm the alarm, but I would have thought that if the people that broke in did know the code, they would have cleared and reactivated the alarm when they left so as not to make it obvious that the person that broke in knew the code, as there are only a handful that do know the code.

Guest anguscanplay
Unfortunately the log is no good, it has overwritten itself since the event.

I dont think I'll ever really know whether someone did disarm the alarm, but I would have thought that if the people that broke in did know the code, they would have cleared and reactivated the alarm when they left so as not to make it obvious that the person that broke in knew the code, as there are only a handful that do know the code.

A HANDFUL..... Jeez

Archived