Security Installer Community

Adsl Microfilters

Matt Ward

The Galaxy telecom module is connected to a BT line, presumably with a microfilter if you have broadband (as I have). You can connect a secondary phone on other terminals of the telecom module (so... BT line > ASDL filter > telecom module > secondary phone)

This is what is mentioned in the installation instructions of the telecom module.

Each device on a phone line must have it's own microfilter, but the secondary phone is already going through the microfilter belonging to the telecom module!

Anyone else had this problem? I am using the secondary phone connections on the telecom module, but do these terminals do anything like cut the line to the secondary phone whilst the telecom module is dialling?

I'm tempted just not to use them and parallel the wires going to other phones.

Thanks for any help, Matt

Each device on a phone line must have it's own microfilter, but the secondary phone is already going through the microfilter belonging to the telecom module!

It doesn't need another one in that case as it already goes through one.

But if it did it wouldn't do anything to the phone (or Broadband) operation.

Put simply, a microfilter stops Broadband signals getting to the phone. It does other things too, but they're not relevant to this point.

The Galaxy is using a dialler, not Redcare?

The Galaxy is using a dialler, not Redcare?

I have finally got round to connecting up the Telecom module on my Galaxy! It's a dialler (I am using SMS texting), which makes the device a phone - presumably it will need a filter?

I am an installer, but this is on my house system.

I have finally got round to connecting up the Telecom module on my Galaxy! It's a dialler (I am using SMS texting), which makes the device a phone - presumably it will need a filter?

Whether or not the Telecom module needs a filter when there's broadband on the line should be specified somewhere I would hope. It (the Telecom module) may not actually be affected by it.

However the Broadband almost certainly needs separating from the Telecom module by a filter to protect the broadband.

Hope that makes sense, but the answer is almost certainly yes.

...but the answer is almost certainly yes.

But the problem I have is:

* Whether or not to install a second microfilter on the 'secondary line' connections (eg.. BT Line > Microfilter > Telecom module > (Another microfilter?) > Secondary phone)

* If to use the 'secondary connections' at all, or just parallel the wires to other phones before reaching the telecom module.

Do you know if the telecom module is designed to cut the phone line during operation (to prevent someone jamming the line by lifting a telephone elsewhere?). If it doesn't, then what is the point of the C/BC/C/D terminals on the module - it states these are for a secondary phone?

But the problem I have is:

* Whether or not to install a second microfilter on the 'secondary line' connections (eg.. BT Line > Microfilter > Telecom module > (Another microfilter?) > Secondary phone)

* If to use the 'secondary connections' at all, or just parallel the wires to other phones before reaching the telecom module.

Do you know if the telecom module is designed to cut the phone line during operation (to prevent someone jamming the line by lifting a telephone elsewhere?). If it doesn't, then what is the point of the C/BC/C/D terminals on the module - it states these are for a secondary phone?

1. Already answered (i.e. no) in this thread post #2: http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...st&p=185881

2&3 - hopefully someone (not me) who knows Galaxy & it's Telecom module well can answer that.

Here is the result of my tests...

Phone line > MicroFilter > Galaxy TelecomModule (In on A/B terminals, out on C/D) > Secondary phone = NO CALLER ID WORKING ON SECONDARY PHONE!

Phone line > MicroFilter > Galaxy TelecomModule (In on A/B terminals, out on C/D) > MicroFilter > Secondary phone = EVERYTHING WORKS OK

I'm not entirely sure why I need to place TWO microfilters in the same line, but it works - plus no problems with my broadband. The broadband is connected at the start of the chain (i.e. - directly into the master socket).

The C/D terminals are line seize - when the telecom module is dialling it cuts the phone line to the secondary phone.

Hope this is of some help to someone, sometime!

Matt

Here is the result of my tests...

Phone line > MicroFilter > Galaxy TelecomModule (In on A/B terminals, out on C/D) > Secondary phone = NO CALLER ID WORKING ON SECONDARY PHONE!

Phone line > MicroFilter > Galaxy TelecomModule (In on A/B terminals, out on C/D) > MicroFilter > Secondary phone = EVERYTHING WORKS OK

I'm not entirely sure why I need to place TWO microfilters in the same line, but it works - plus no problems with my broadband. The broadband is connected at the start of the chain (i.e. - directly into the master socket).

The C/D terminals are line seize - when the telecom module is dialling it cuts the phone line to the secondary phone.

Hope this is of some help to someone, sometime!

Matt

That's just plain weird, based on what I know about broadband and filters.

Anyone know enough about the Galaxy Telecom module to explain it?

As I said earlier, using both filters shouldn't affect broaband, why it should affect the phone that way I'd be interested to know. Presumably with 1 filter the phone is otherwise OK?

Guest anguscanplay

usually if you need two filters its because theres already one you dont know about ie

1st filter - filters / balances

2nd filter - unfilters / unbalances

3rd filter - filters / balances

(maybe)

Archived