Security Installer Community

Optima XM - Won't Reset

Guest nidgep

Guest nidgep

HI Guys

Can anyone tell me firstly why this happened and then how to reset an Optima XM control panel?

Following a power cut the other day the Optima XM control panel is indicating an alarm on zone 4 (one of the downstairs rooms - PIR). The keypad on the control panel will not respond at all even if the power indicator is satisified.

I am intending to open the panel and remove the +12v to the PIR and then re-apply it in the hope that this resolves the problem.

Whenever the power has been lost in the past there has not been a problem, so whats wrong this time?

Any help/tips or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like dead battery, get a new battery and then power down the pansl then power back up - with the new battery. This should fix the locked panel problem and will also reset the sensors... so you dont need to remove the +12v directly to the sensor.

Guest nidgep

Hi

The PIR still looks as though it is working correctly (LED comes on and off etc).

The tamper LED indication on the panel is not illuminated.

Currently, the following LED's are illuminated:

POWER ON (Mains)

ATTACK

ZONE 4

The keypad remains locked. The internal sounder did give out a tone when the power (mains) was lost.

I do not know how old the system/panel is so I think I wil buy a new battery.

What size should I get? There are no remote keypads and only one bell box with an SAB, 4 PIR's and two shock sensors attached to windows. Will a 2aH battery suffice?

Also as an after thought - even if the backup battery has failed then why will the panel not reset when it must be getting the 12v from the transformer, or do these systems not work in this way?

Thanks

2.1AH WILL BE FINE

'ATTACK' LIGHT ON?

DOES THE PA BUTTON REQUIRE RE-SETTING

THIS WILL ALSO CAUSE A KEYPAD LOCKOUT

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Guest RICHL

Optima panels are prone to crashing and not powering up correctly if they have a duff battery.

A 2Ah battery will be fine but I would fit a 3Ah - disconnect the old one and power up, enter code then connect the new battery. Also check the leads fit the battery tightly.

This should sort it but while youve got the panel lid off check the rear of the PCB on the right to see if there is any sign off damage/burning. If there is it will need sorting out or the new battery is a bit of a waste of time!

Guest nidgep

Thanks guys

I will open the panel - check for damage as suggested - if none present buy new battery.

I will re-check the status of the LED's on the panel - I am pretty sure that there is no PA button fitted anywhere.

I will take a photo of the panel in its current state and post it after the bank holiday for you all to look at. In this way any confusion can be avoided.

At this time I will also be in a better posiiton as to what the state the internals / battery etc. are.

Thanks to you all of your help so far.

Guest nidgep

I have now installed the new battery and as predicted - all is now OK again.

Big thanks to all who have taken the time and trouble to help me.

One more question, if I may?

I will be looking to install a new alarm system later this year and wondered what manufacturer you would recommend?

I will be looking for a panel that can have:

multi-zone with multi programmable options. (individual zone programming options - for example the garage)

multiple remote keypads with dot matrix / lcd display.

Option to connect to a PC / laptop for programming and or upload / downloading.

accept inputs from mains powered smoke detectors and other external devices that are not specifically associated with an alarm system.

accept an internal/external modem connection to send out alerts (preferably a text message if that option is available) that state the date/time/zone and type of alarm condition etc.

Ability to query the status of the alarm through a pc connection (connected to the internet via broadband for example)

I think that this is enough for now - do such panels exist and if so how much should I expect to pay for something so configurable?

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated.

Guest Adrian

B) I would guess a lot of money and technicale (Dave where is the spell checker?)know how.

Most of the features you are asking for are engineer only bits, but I,m certain somone on here will be able to help you with this one.

Adrian B)

Guest nidgep

Thanks once again for the info.

I did expect to have some difficulty in obtaining certain system modules but I did expect to be able to plug-in a laptop at least and use software to connect and configure the main panel / keypads through a more user friendly interface [which would incidentally make troubleshooting easier].

After all, if you still need the user code before entering an engineer code as in the Optima XM6 that I have then I don't see any particular problem.

This is especially true if using a PC, as an encryption algorithm / mechanism can be used to control the connected session.[hand shaking].

I would like the ability to be warned via a text message and also to be able to connect to the modem / panel via the Public Service Telephone Network [PSTN] in order to query the status and or reset any alarms [false alarms hopefully] remotely. It would just give peace of mind.

As far as using the internet / pc to communincate with a control panel, firstly you would have to identify yourself to the PC [logon] in order to control it to communicate with the alarm system - this would require several levels of username / password combinations and could also be run under something known a SSL [secure Socket Layers] which is the mechanism used when buying online goods and as you all probably know uses 128bit encryption to secure any data transmitted - pretty secure I think.

:fyi:

As you may have guessed i am not an alarm engineer I just like tekkie stuff.

I am a former electrician and electrical control panel builder, and now employed as a computer programmer.

Anyway back to the original question - taking the last few postings into account and the fact that I am not in the trade - which panel would you recommend and what would the estimated cost be for a good reliable panel with remote keypads, LCD display(s), being able to accept multi inputs [volt free, relay or otherwise e.g. RS232 serial comms] which can have ID tags attached to give meaning to the connected equipment (perhaps a binary code like the remote keypad adresses with the addition of a textual meaning for ease of understanding), with the ability to send alerts via text and also accept a dial up connection in order to query the panel and possibly reset alarm conditions etc.

Thanks to Pete for his reply - hope that one day your thoughts turn to reality especially if they are available non-commercially!

Look forward to reading your recommendations.

Nigel :D

Guest nidgep

Thanks for your help Pete.

I understand the security conscious attitiude of yourselves and the manufacturers after all what would be the point in dishing out loads of security info to anyone who requested it.

I will investigate the options available to me - especially the manufacturer and panel you recommended [Ademco Microtec Galaxy] and see how far I can get.

I was fully expecting to pay approx £500 plus for this sort of stuff any way.

Thanks once again.

Regards

nigel

:)

PS

Perhaps I will add another post in the near future when i have researched a little more. It may help others whom have the same appetite /aptitude for having tekkie stuff in their homes.

If I do succeed in finding a suitable panel/system you may find me back posing installation queries!

Archived