Security Installer Community

Legal Aspects Of Cctv

Guest xquest

As domestic / residential CCTV is specifically exempt under section 36 of the DPA, you will not be able to register your use with the Information Commissioners Office; they just won't be interested.

Jon,

What if the home owner decides to store the images on a remote server rather than on equipment within their own home ?

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jon,

What if the home owner decides to store the images on a remote server rather than on equipment within their own home ?

i still wouldnt think it would make much difference as its still classed as domestic use not commercial

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

you could always email me persoanlly at

cheers

Moderated?

Jon,

I do, all my system is backed up to a remote site not just my CCTV!

I've posted my question elsewhere to so I won't be posting again here. I can't understand why you are so strict on moderation! I simply don't want to publish any of my personal circumstances on open forum!

well? it stops people or firms becoming members just to price for work

I undertsand that part but I'm quite obviously not a company or in the trade! I came here for advice on a problem I have at home that I don't want to detail openly. So as I said I'll just go elsewhere and ask.

Guest anguscanplay
I undertsand that part but I'm quite obviously not a company or in the trade! I came here for advice on a problem I have at home that I don't want to detail openly. So as I said I'll just go elsewhere and ask.

understand but hows admin going to filter the public questions from the spam.

just post your info - it wont be anything we havnt heard before

What you are is not obvious.

You could be anyone from anywhere.

As you point out this is a public forum.

You signed up to this forum of your own free will & by doing so you agreed you had read and would abide by our rules.

Site rules are for ALL & not up for discussion.

You are free to go where you like.

Any further posts attempting to or questioning the forum rules will be deleted.

C.

Jon,

Hi IP Alarms,

The DPA being a less than sophisticated piece of legislation, is not so much concerned with the issues of technology, but rather the purpose for which the data is gathered, and how that data is used.

As "residential" is outside the scope of this legislation, in a practical sense it makes no odds what technology is used by a homeowner, or why indeed they want to use it, the bottom line is that the DPA is completely ineffective at regulating the use of CCTV / IP Video in this environment.

What is particularly galling is that in theory, inappropriate use of video surveillance would be covered if the neighbouring property were an estate office (for example a commercial estate management use), but if it is the caretakers flat then it probably counts for nothing.

Time and again I'm asked about situations that would be controlled by the Act (for example exporting data to another country, such as an ISP with a server in a country outside the EU), but mention the words 'domestic' or 'residential', and the Commissioner just ain't bovvered!

Quite frankly, given the huge number of systems that are not DPA compliant, but should be, the lack of any tangible enforcement does tend to make something of a mockery of the whole situation.

That aside, without wishing to state the obvious here, Welung666 has made clear that for personal reasons he does not wish to post any information that he would feel uncomfortable divulging on a publicly viewable forum. Curiosity aside, IMHO that doesn't sound in the least bit unreasonable to me, and I really can't see any reason why anyone would have a problem in gracefully respecting his wishes :unsure:

Guest anguscanplay
and I really can't see any reason why anyone would have a problem in gracefully respecting his wishes :unsure:

all depends if he`s the injured party of not ..............

• 2 weeks later...
I have had a couple of double-glazed lounge windows shattered by airgun pellets. What are the legal restrictions in setting up a concealed camera to record people on the pavement (about 15 ft. from the windows) ? Am I allowed to cover the pavement, the road and the far pavement ? If not, what other action could I take? The police advise that it is most likely a one-off and I won't be considering action unless it happens again. Any advice anyone ?

erm....hello..

if i wanted to put a hidden camera into a static caravan to record if anyone was to break in would there be any laws against that?

erm....hello..

if i wanted to put a hidden camera into a static caravan to record if anyone was to break in would there be any laws against that?

Errr, me thinks some serious amount of posts to wade through too.

Notice the date??

Archived