Security Installer Community

Night Vision Advise

Guest mccltd

Hi,

I'm running a geovsion system for my cctv and require some descent night vision.

I am having problems with some youth throwing stones at windows.

I have a PTZ and a static camera out the front but neither are any good at night.

They are throwing stones from the other side of the road and there is no descent street lighting.

Can someone advise what cameras they recommend form me to use.

Also if I can buy them over the weekend even better as I go on holiday towards the ens of next week.

Many thanks,

DAve.

e: dave@d2too.com

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Director of COP Security

But seriously at what distance do you need to see and what level of detail do you need, also what are the lighting conditions in the foreground, i.e. between the camera and the area you want to look at.

Way to go, nice answer from a director of a cctv suppliers.

in public forums too

words fail me

Good recovery, as i typed this...........................

even so

You have a couple of choices.

Assuming you have no lighting between the camera and the target area.

You can go for a high specification day / night switching camera that has a moving IR cut filter, there are a good number of these around and most of them are quite good, you will also need a good quality lens. However these cameras require some infra red light to operate at night, usually street lighting or moon light on a clear night can be enough, but they will not work in very dark environments without some background infra red light. Also the whole setup with a decent housing can be quite large and if you buy good equipment quite expensive.

Things to look for:-

Moving IR cut filter

Varifocal lens made in Japan

Another option is a good all in one camera, this is a camera that has built in infra red LED's to provide illumination at night, again there are a fair few of these around. Be careful when selecting this type of camera as the specification and price vary considerably. Most of these cameras have a fixed lens and as such will only be suitable for a general view at any distance.

Things to look for:-

Range of LED's (usually half what is quoted)

Size of lens (a 6mm lens will view an area around 5.5M wide x 7.5M high @ 10 metres) so people will appear quite small and facial recognition is out of the question.

Although we are distributors we only supply to the trade there are a number of suppliers around that will supply to the public.

Just try CCTV in Google, good luck

Way to go, nice answer from a director of a cctv suppliers.

in public forums too

words fail me

Good recovery, as i typed this...........................

even so

The carrots are a serious proposition, if they don

Thanks for your replies,

Director of Cop you say you only supply to the trade, I own Medway Computer Components Ltd and sell Geovision and cameras from one company but they dont seem to know much about night vision.

Would you be able to supply to me?

We do supply alot of local cctv companies with computers etc for their systems.

Anyway with regards the camera required.

I would say the throw would be about 20 metres, and there is one street light but way down the road.

I have two normal cameras out there but just show black at night.

Wide angle would also be good.

If you would like you can log onto http://87.248.129.49:6800/

The user name and password are both ' guest '

There is a PTZ that you can control out the front and if you turn it to show the houses opposite that is where I'm trying to view.

One of the stones has now smashed the outa pain of the window

Thanks,

Dave.

www.medwaycomputers.co.uk

www.instantpc.co.uk

www.bigblueIT.net

You can go for a high specification day / night switching camera that has a moving IR cut filter, there are a good number of these around and most of them are quite good, you will also need a good quality lens. However these cameras require some infra red light to operate at night, usually street lighting or moon light on a clear night can be enough, but they will not work in very dark environments without some background infra red light. Also the whole setup with a decent housing can be quite large and if you buy good equipment quite expensive.

Just about to trial the COP 15-CA35EDC High Res Day Night Camera on my house. Using a Japanese Day/Night lens as well.

Quite handy as the streetlight is faulty, it keeps coming on and off so will see the camera in both lights (so to speak :) )

cheers

Dave

Some suggestions -

You will only get B&W at night so consider saving what you would spend on a colour cam and buy the best B&W you can find - they all work with IR and you should get better low light sensitivity than for a similar priced colour.

I have tried a few of those cams with built in IR leds

Archived