Security Installer Community

Holiday Money

Guest rjbsec

So when you are off on your exotic holiday, where do you go to get your best deals on holiday cash?

Exotic holiday :hmm:

When we go abroad on our package holiday :lol: I tend to get our money from Lloyds TSB. If you got a business bank account with them they give some good rates and offer the usual no fee buy back. Thomas Cook have been reasonable in the past.

To be honest of late we have been getting just enough and topping up using the debit card if we need to, don't get charged the stupid fees you sometimes here about.

Where you off to Roger? Anywhere nice?

cheers

Dave

Where you off to Roger? Anywhere nice?

cheers

Dave

Back to Brazil - been there couple of times now, last time in January and enjoy it very much indeed, great people. great weather, great food!

Most of the exchanges give a relatively poor rate, surprisingly the best I've found so far is with Thomsons who we are travelling with.

I too use the debit card and take some $ travellers cheques but like to arrive with some cash.

The banks (especially LloydsTSB) give a poor rate of exchange, thats why they dont charge.

I found the travel agents give the best rates by far and if you shop around a bit and change bigger sums the better the deal. In June Hays Travel gave me 1.43 euro coz i changed

Incidentally i found in Zante i could have change my pounds for 1.43 euros also, it maybe the same in Brazil also, worth checking.

Only 2 weeks to go till im off again, week in Teneriffe just to warm the blood!

Brazil doesn't like sterling for some bizarre reason, when we were there some people were having problems with sterling travellers cheques - dollar is king and euros seem to be okay.

Have a nice time in Teneriffe.

So when you are off on your exotic holiday, where do you go to get your best deals on holiday cash?

The usual source - homer's undeclared cash jobs, 2nd hand stock out the back of the van :fear: .......Ohhh you mean foreign currency, well, um, I obviously declare all income and buy travellers cheques from the bank :cold2:

:)

Have a nice time in Teneriffe.

Im sure i will and you too in Brazil........ B)

One question though, i do like to get into a cultural swing so to speak, eat greek or spanish or whatever etc do it theyre way if i can.

Will you be having a Brazillian before you travel or when your there even?

Btw i dont :no: need pictures as proof, a simple yes or no will do for me, cant speak for the soft southerners tho they might wanna peek! ;)

Im sure i will and you too in Brazil........ B)

One question though, i do like to get into a cultural swing so to speak, eat greek or spanish or whatever etc do it theyre way if i can.

Will you be having a Brazillian before you travel or when your there even?

Btw i dont :no: need pictures as proof, a simple yes or no will do for me, cant speak for the soft southerners tho they might wanna peek! ;)

We always seek out food from the area and that is easy in Brazil - plenty of good seafood and some lovely self-service restaurants where you pay for the food by weight, so you can try a spoonful of this and a spoonful of that just to try it - great way to find what you like.

Just down from our hotel there is a restaurant with a very heavy Portuguese influence and we enjoy the food there too.

I really can't stand going abroad and eating English food - the single exception was when we went to Mexico and I just didn't take to the Mexican food and it didn't take to me ... I confess that I spent a few bob in the local McDonalds eating chicken in a bun!

Best "ethnic" food I found was in India and Sri Lanka, some fabulous fish meals including curries, I love fish curry and you will always find fresh and dried chillies in our kitchen (though only for me), my favourite is Jamaican Scotch Bonnet particularly in a plate of saltfish & ackees.

This is the SOS Childrens Village which we sponsor in Sri Lanka and which we visited when we last travelled there.

post-775-1160678640.jpg

A meeting with a croc in the Gambia!

Gambia_croc.bmp

Visiting the villages in Kenya (the kids love sweets - attack a bag like piranhas!).

post-775-1160678998_thumb.jpg

Archived