Security Installer Community

How Secure Is Gsm ?

Will M

Just finished having a long chat on my mobile and it made me wonder.

How secure really is GSM ?

I have been googling it, but not really come up with a conclusion. I remember the old mobile days with people switching off Corination St. and switching on their scanner instead. I have heard rumours that the tecnology to listen to modern GSM communications is not limited to the military / government.

Any Ideas ?

Just finished having a long chat on my mobile and it made me wonder.

How secure really is GSM ?

I have been googling it, but not really come up with a conclusion. I remember the old mobile days with people switching off Corination St. and switching on their scanner instead. I have heard rumours that the tecnology to listen to modern GSM communications is not limited to the military / government.

Any Ideas ?

i don't remember what coding it is but only 40bit "rolling code". if you phone call is longer than super frame* (approx 3,5 hrs) it starts to use same codes again.

*not sure about that name either - anyhow it is the biggest frame there is used in GSM technology

some uplinks use to run on anologue trunks but these were being fased out. To be honest you would need some prety hefty gear to listen in on convirsations on the Global System for Mobile communications network.

In summary - very difficult for the amateur, but quite doable for government agencies. :ninja:

Mind you, they can get in other ways if they want.................. :whistle:

In summary - very difficult for the amateur, but quite doable for government agencies. :ninja:

:hmm: don't RAF Menwith Hill monitor calls?

:hmm: don't RAF Menwith Hill monitor calls?

They don't need all those huge dishes just to do that. :fear:

They don't need all those huge dishes just to do that. :fear:

there meant to scan all emails, fax & telephones calls alledgelly

also Son of starwars involment

Guest rubble
All communication traffic is monitored for protection of the country. key word recognition is used. both civil and mod agency's are involved. :ninja:

Big brother is always listening.

All communication traffic is monitored for protection of the country. key word recognition is used. both civil and mod agency's are involved. :ninja:

airplane, bomb, bin laden....... :P

Archived