Security Installer Community

Abacus Box

roger j

I have had an Abacus 8P control box for many years and it continues to work perfectly. At the last routine annual service visit (I wasn't at home at the time) the engineer reported that he could not open the box and has advised that it should be replaced.

I am reluctant to replace a box which is well specified and which works well because of a minor mechanical problem. The box has always opened easily in the past on removal of a single screw on the front. As the box is indoors and in a cupboard in a private residence, there are no security issues regarding its location.

The suggested replacement box is the Veritas 8, which I understand from this forum is inferior to the Abacus.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Roger

Changing the engineer might be a simpler solution :yes:

Providing the system is looked after and the batteries are changed as neccessary the abacus will give good long service, you might need to amend the time occasionaly, but other than that the abacus is a very good system.

Changing the engineer might be a simpler solution :yes:

Providing the system is looked after and the batteries are changed as neccessary the abacus will give good long service, you might need to amend the time occasionaly, but other than that the abacus is a very good system.

Thanks for the reply. The implication of your reply is that the company has disabled access and another company would be able to open it. Is this so?

Actually my alarm company is a a well established locally owned company, with whom I have been very happy until now. Their annual charge is also much less than many of the national companies.

Roger

I can think of no reason why the engineer made this assesment and to be fair without seeing the situation i would be inclined to take his word for it. Having said that he could be wrong so i would suggest that you get him or his superior round to explain his reason.

At least that way you will be able to judge for yourself where you go next.

Thanks for the reply. The implication of your reply is that the company has disabled access and another company would be able to open it. Is this so?

No that is not what i was saying, I took it that the box could not be opened Physically. My reply meant that if that was the case then change your engineer, why do you have the impression that the access would be disabled?

Ian makes a good point and if you were happy with the company, perhaps its simply the engineer is unfamiliar with the system or even new to the company. If you have had years of good service i dont see a reason to change, talk to the firm and get a reason for the diagnosis.

In my opinion there is no reason for an engineer not be able to open the box, unless you have built an obstruction across the front of it.

At the last routine annual service visit (I wasn't at home at the time) the engineer reported that he could not open the box and has advised that it should be replaced.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Roger

hi Roger,

we/i don't want to judge any engineer harshly especially on 'site unseen'. many perfectly good and sound reasons are given to change a panel, but i got to say that's a new one on me - he can't open the box so the remmedy is to fit a new panel? :hmm: me thinks the good lady has misunderstood what the engineer has said, and then comming 'second hand' with all due respect to your fine lady it happens.

if it is what he said i would wonder how will he fit the new panel, if he can't open the old one to remove it? perhaps he intends a gentlle crow bar methodogy - kiss goodby to the plaster in that area.

i'm ammused and dead curious to know the true reason.

so summonds him to appear before the court of the Great king Arfur, and i'll hold a fair (ly biased) kangeroo court on him :P

seriously, it's best you call the company and speak with a manager, he will talk to the engineer and access the diagnostics, perhaps get him to ring you and exsplain. if its a good company, and you are normally happy with them its worth a little effort to clear it up properly, don't be shy as your the one paying, so you have the rite to understand why.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Many thanks for all the helpful comments.

The door of the box is catching. My two hypotheses are that either the box door can be set not to allow simple access (for example when it is located at a site with public access) or that one of the anti-tamper detectors is catching. If I knew for certain what was happening, I could force the door or drill out the part that is catching.

The owner of the alarm service company has written to me with a quote for the new Veritas 8 box. I shall eventually speak to him, but I am trying to look at my options first and understand what the problem is. In any event, I am reluctant to spend

Personally an veritas is a huge jump down from an abacus. Da are still trading they were bought out by bosch. The new abacus panels are rebadged castle euro meridians. Im afraid i dont understand the tamper catcing comments.

I do indeed replace control panels but usually for electrical faults not sticking lids. I assume this panel has the 'tamper-proof' screws on it and thats what your refering to?

Thanks for your comments. I apologise if I was not very clear about how the box should open. It has a simple single screw and was easy to open. ( I can still remove the screw) My reference to tamper was to the sensors which detect whether the box has been opened. These record each time the box is opened and will activate the alarm if the box is opened when set.

ok thanks for that, now im more confused as i dont really know what the 'fault' is. Is it that every time they open it it goes into alarm internally (it should unless in test/engineers) or is it that you can open the panel and nothing happens?

The alarm is working perfectly. The only problem is that the service engineer on his recent visit reported that he could not open the door and so could not test the battery.

The engineer reported that he could not open the box and has advised that it should be replaced.
The reported fault is that the Engineer who attended to service the system could not open the panel, and so advised a new panel be fitted..?

Never in all my time on service have I encountered a panel that would not open, although there have been a few in which the lid was not replaced correctly and forced back on, thus requiring a little effort on my part to remove the panel lid next service.

And 1 occasion when the battery had leaked inside the panel, causing the panel screw to corrode.. Had to drill out the flippin screw..

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived