Security Installer Community

New Printer Old Computer

kka

i have installed a new c 48 (espon) printer to my old computer.

i cannot get the printer to print my work. i think the problem is in the fact that the new printer is throught the usb port, i think i need to tell the computer to look here when printing,but do not know how.can any body help...... os is windows 98

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

i cannot get the printer to print my work. i think the problem is in the fact that the new printer is throught the usb port, i think i need to tell the computer to look here when printing,but do not know how.can any body help...... os is windows 98

Windows 98 doesn't have USB support for all types of devices as standard, you need drivers for the relevant hardware.

What version of Windows 98 is it for a start? Second Edition or first?

Does the printer specifically say it works with W98 and which edition? Many won't.

Does the printer actually show up in the list of printers when it's plugged in (and turned on)?

Does your USB hub show up properly in device manager?

Windows 98 doesn't have USB support for all types of devices as standard, you need drivers for the relevant hardware.

What version of Windows 98 is it for a start? Second Edition or first?

Does the printer specifically say it works with W98 and which edition? Many won't.

Does the printer actually show up in the list of printers when it's plugged in (and turned on)?

Does your USB hub show up properly in device manager?

q1= windows 98 se

q2= i think so

q3=yes and i did set it to default.

q4=no

would windows detect this new printer and not make the necessary adjustments automatically?

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

q1= windows 98 se

q2= i think so

q3=yes and i did set it to default.

q4=no

would windows detect this new printer and not make the necessary adjustments automatically?

Probably not, it's 98 not XP.

USB support arrived "properly" with 98 and was changed from "port" to "device" with 98 SE.

You normally (with W98) have to install the drivers first, then plug the device in.

Are you keeping up to date with Windows Update? There may be better drivers for your USB hub.

why stick with '98?

imo get XP pronto (recomend full versions), runs like a dream these days and will sort most problems in the background too.

you rely on your computer for you life to be easy, so treat the old girl to a new 'perm', ypu've had your money's worth out of '98 so let it RIP.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Cerberus NI
why stick with '98?

imo get XP pronto (recomend full versions), runs like a dream these days and will sort most problems in the background too.

you rely on your computer for you life to be easy, so treat the old girl to a new 'perm', ypu've had your money's worth out of '98 so let it RIP.

regs

alan

The computer may be required to run true DOS programs and while an upgrade to XP can be achieved via partitioning of the drive for DOS it may not be that convienient.

A 'old' computer running 98 is probably just that, a OLD computer, running windows 98.

Stick 98 on a OLD computer, with a slow processor, little ram, slow hard drive, and it will be pretty muc h unuseable.

Depends on the specs, if the pc is up to it, then XP is great - but if its not, dont bother, just get a new pc with XP on.

yeah i hear what you are saying about xp.. my main computer runs it no problem..... but my old computer has lots of my programs / records on it,running fine on win98SE,(dos based programs) but my little espon 440 gave up last week, so i thought i would up date with a new one hence c48. thought i had nothing more to do than just install software, then plug and play

thanks everybody for your input.

yeah i hear what you are saying about xp.. my main computer runs it no problem..... but my old computer has lots of my programs / records on it,running fine on win98SE,(dos based programs) but my little espon 440 gave up last week, so i thought i would up date with a new one hence c48. thought i had nothing more to do than just install software, then plug and play

thanks everybody for your input.

You'll never get any of the DOS programs to print to a USB attached printer.

I've dealt with quite a few old systems like this recently where the printer has died; the best solution is to find a second-hand parallel port printer. There are actually quite a lot around - usually where someone has bought a new PC only to find it's USB-only so then they have to buy a new printer (and USB cable - why are the hardly ever included?).

You'll never get any of the DOS programs to print to a USB attached printer.

Actually that's not necessarily totally accurate. There's a mechanism called Printer Port Redirection that might work, but you have to be pretty desperate to try to make it work. An old printer will probably be easier unless you're a DOS techie and like having fun with PC's. :(

why stick with '98?

Something else you witter on about without having a clue.

XP would probably run like a sack of treacle on a machine that is specced for W98SE. If possible, W2K is often a better upgrade path from 98. It also does as it's told, unlike XP.

XP doesn't run like a dream, it runs like a nightmare, but appears t run like a dream due to its bright colours and rounded edges.

Where would you find half a version of XP as opposed to the full one?

I rely on my computer, which is why it doesn't run XP. :)

Guest Cerberus NI
Something else you witter on about without having a clue.

XP would probably run like a sack of treacle on a machine that is specced for W98SE. If possible, W2K is often a better upgrade path from 98. It also does as it's told, unlike XP.

XP doesn't run like a dream, it runs like a nightmare, but appears t run like a dream due to its bright colours and rounded edges.

Where would you find half a version of XP as opposed to the full one?

I rely on my computer, which is why it doesn't run XP. :)

Yup - 2000 is definately more stable and surer than XP.Maybe you don't use (and no insult intended) higher level programming for fire alarm systems,as the older panels (Morley,Minerva and Kidde use DOS operating systems).

My 2 cents worth here...

I've got a C40 works fine with 98, the C46/66's are a bit of a bind thought what I always do is the following:

1) Stick in the CD that came with printer, install the driver / utility First..

2) When it asks me plug in and power up the printer and let it detect

3) Test print

Job Done..

IF you've already got the thing installed and it's not working right:

1) Remove the drivers -> control panel -> device manager -> find the Epson .... and tell it to remove it...

2) Unplug the printer from PC

3) Uninstall any Utility program that's been installed if not done already

4) Reboot PC

5) Follow the 3 steps laid out above..

IF it don't work let me know and I'll try and help ya, I'm still running 98se on a machine or 3 (can't afford to XP 'em :( )

I agree though XP looks like a dream runs like a nightmare (there are some many things lurking that I'm like what the heck does that do!) and I don't like the whole look, 98se has the best look don't need nice rounded buttons, I ain't 5 or 6 ya know :P

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived