Security Installer Community

Xda2i As Dial Up Modem

breff

Ive got a laptop with bluetooth and I can currently connect to my Nokia 6230i and use Texecom Wintex to remote connect the laptop to control panel.

Ive also got an XDA11i and can make gprs connections no problem but cannot find a way to use it as modem for remote access to a control panel.

Has anyone else managed to do this? or can anyone think of a way.

The nokia is my own phone and I have to pay the bill where as the XDA11i is paid for by work.

I know I could swap the sims over and use the nokia but its too much hassle every time.

cheers

Glenn

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Go into Device Manager and the XDA modem should have a com port assigned to it, set that as the modem in Wintex.

If the XDA isn't assigned a modem in Device Manager then if it works as a GPRS gateway for the laptop then the drivers should be on the laptop somewhere so go to Control Panel > Modems and add a modem on a spare com port using the XDA.

The only thing with this is that it may turn out to not be a compatible modem for Wintex, but you knew that anyway.

Of course, after re-reading that it occurs to me that the XDA may not offer the service as a dial-up gateway. If you go into bluetooth neighbourhood thingy and explore the device then it will list the services available to you.

Ive seen that before Colin, it allows me to use it as a GPRS modem but not a direct dial modem.

Ive seen that before Colin, it allows me to use it as a GPRS modem but not a direct dial modem.

Join and ask the question there, you should get a quick answer from someone who does know.

Also page three of the modem set up guide for the GPRS service shows only how to set up the modem, you should only need to follow that page and select the method of comms with the laptop. then set the laptop up to use the modem connection you have created.

Xda_Modem.pdf

Yeah, I should join and ask it there, I think I may already be a member!!!

Ive got a laptop with bluetooth and I can currently connect to my Nokia 6230i and use Texecom Wintex to remote connect the laptop to control panel.

Ive also got an XDA11i and can make gprs connections no problem but cannot find a way to use it as modem for remote access to a control panel.

Has anyone else managed to do this? or can anyone think of a way.

The nokia is my own phone and I have to pay the bill where as the XDA11i is paid for by work.

I know I could swap the sims over and use the nokia but its too much hassle every time.

cheers

Glenn

Dont think you will get this to work the way you want. Another route and safer. Use Remote Desktop from your laptop to your PC. 10 years ago we used to go this way using a programme called PC anywhere, the security is the panel calls a fixed PSTN line and is instigated by the customer.

Jef

Customers!

• 7 months later...
Guest DRB Communications
Dont think you will get this to work the way you want. Another route and safer. Use Remote Desktop from your laptop to your PC. 10 years ago we used to go this way using a programme called PC anywhere, the security is the panel calls a fixed PSTN line and is instigated by the customer.

Jef

I know its an old topic, but I'm bored :)

Most network suppliers will provide you "on request" a dedicated modem number and a dedicated fax number free of charge that uses the same contract min as your main number, if your phone is compatible it will know what number to select and you can assign a different ring tone to each number.

I had Orange for 6 years and O2 for the past 2 and I have had these services from day one, very handy to be able to send / receive faxes or remote connect from basically anywhere you can get your mobile to work from especially if there is no active land line available.

I think the max baud rate is 9600

Dave

Archived