Security Installer Community

Bt Redcare

Guest blundell

Guest blundell

Hi all,

Recent problem.. customer has redcare...

Fax works on line but PC modem based fax server does not...

They have been running with a standard broadband Z blocker..

BT say we should have an MCD???

What is the difference.. frequency tuning or something to filter different layers of voice and data??

cheers

Phil :hmm:

MCD is a Modem Compatibilty Device that separates Redcares 'chirps' from a dial-up modems tones and therefore enables a modem and Redcare STU to work on the same line.

A Broadband Filter or 'Z Blocker' is used to separate the broadband data on a phone line. For example is you plugged a telephone into a Broadband enabled line without a filter fitted you would hear a lot of noise.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Guest blundell

Thankyou. thats exactly the info I was after...

My company has sourced me an MCD for this site now and I'm going to go and give it a try..

I think they also have broadband on the same line hence the Z blocker..

Sounds like a bit of a busy line... should I expect any problems?

Phil

No, you shuld be fine. Just be sure you place the MCB at the exact place on the line that the instructions tell you and watch out for extention leads on the BT socket. The reason being that the pins in the plugs won't match up and hence the MCB wont work.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

No, you shuld be fine. Just be sure you place the MCB at the exact place on the line that the instructions tell you and watch out for extention leads on the BT socket. The reason being that the pins in the plugs won't match up and hence the MCB wont work.

You can tell me off for hijacking this but...............

And I know it's been covered before, but I can't find it..............

Conversation this evening with a friend talking about someone he knows who:

Has Redcare

And Sky Plus

And Broadband

And the Sky and Redcare engineers were at the house at the same time and said it can't be done. I said I was sure it could and they should know how. :ninja:

Throw in a (digital) fax for good measure maybe?

So, who can say what the definitive answer is. What connects to the BT line in what sequence to get them all working properly? :hmm:

Redcare MCD is not a filter, it looks at the redcare low tone on the line and if it see's something wrong the MCD disconnects the device connected to it to allow the Redcae chrips through.

You can tell me off for hijacking this but...............

And I know it's been covered before, but I can't find it..............

Conversation this evening with a friend talking about someone he knows who:

Has Redcare

And Sky Plus

And Broadband

And the Sky and Redcare engineers were at the house at the same time and said it can't be done. I said I was sure it could and they should know how. :ninja:

Throw in a (digital) fax for good measure maybe?

So, who can say what the definitive answer is. What connects to the BT line in what sequence to get them all working properly? :hmm:

Line with broadband in to (1)Redcare, (2)MCD to Sky box and any other data devices on the line, (3)ADSL filters then for speech.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Guest blundell

Hi guys,

I was at the site again yesterday armed with two MCD's..

The site has the following using the same line.

1. Redcare intruder alarm.

2. Broadband to a standalone PC.

3. Standard Fax machine.

4. A PC based Fax server

5. PC on network c/w 56K modem for IT support dial in maintenance.

The config was..

Z-blockers only as a standard broadband setup..

So I added the 1st MCD to (4) the fax server imediately at the FAX server and bingo bongo it started working.

Tried to do the same to the (5) the IT support dial in PC and we had no success after several attempts and various configurations of MCD and Z blocker arrangements..

Phoned BT who went :question: HHHhhhhhmmmmmmmmm........ not sure if that can be done because the MCD is for equipment dialing out only it cannot determine or influence a dial in device.

So we tested the theory, disconnected the STU and had to remove the MCD but keep the Z blocker to get he IT company to be able to dial in... so looks like they need a seperate line or just use the better faster broadband for the job with a beefy fire wall and anti virus software.

Everyday's a school day as they say..

cheers:beer:

Phil

Archived